Waffles - No Egg


From: Holy Cow Vegan Recipes http://www.holycowvegan.net/

I want to take a moment here to sing the praises of whole wheat pastry flour which I substitute in almost every recipe that calls for all-purpose flour. Since I discovered it, I have been addicted. It produces a nuttier, richer flavor that enhances any baked goodie, and, being made from a whole grain, is much healthier for you too. Flax seeds and applesauce are two other ingredients that have greatly improved my vegan baking efforts, both tastewise and nutritionally.
So there, now all my secrets are out. Hope you have as much fun making and eating these as we did.

Dry ingredients:

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used half whole wheat flour and half white flour & it worked, jen)
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
Whisk these together in a bowl and set aside.

Wet ingredients:

1 1/2 cups soy milk
2 tbsp ground flax whisked with 5 tbsp water
2 tbsp apple sauce
6 tbsp canola oil

Whisk the wet ingredients together and add to the dry ingredients. Mix together but let some lumps remain.
Heat a waffle iron and spray lightly with oil. Make waffles per instructions. (I use an antiquated Toastmaster waffler that makes two square waffles at a time with half a cup of the waffle mixture.)
Enjoy with maple syrup or any fruit compote or syrup of your choice!

0 Comments: